Last Wednesday in lab we finally made our MicroAquariums, which was actually quite exciting. Here are the steps we followed in making our very own MicroAquariums.
First- The materials required to make the aquarium were provided, which included a thin, clear, plastic compartment and two thinner ones to close up the two ends. Sticky Tac was also provided in order to seal the compartment. I labeled my initials on the plastic then was ready to actually make the aquarium come to live.
Second- We chose which water we wanted to be watching for the next four weeks. I went with choice number six (mainly because no one else did and I did not feel like waiting in line), but also because it is from Deans Woods Springcreek off Woodson Dr. runing through Dean's Woods Road frontage, Knox Co. Tennessee, and I thought it would be interesting to see what is in the environment my childhood was revolved around. First a sample was taken from the bottom of the bucket, gathering as much dirt as possible into the vile. It was then placed into the compartment and filled the entire bottom of the aquarium, and then up 1/3 of the way. The next sample was taken from the middle layer. I also filled the 1/3 of the aquarium, and then the 1/3 left I put a sample from the top of the creek water.
Third- After filling my aquarium with water, I took a piece of the plant in the bucket of creek water and put it in the aquarium, along with the plant labeled "sample b" on my table. So in the end I have two different types of plants inside the aquarium.
Plant B. Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN.
After finishing making the aquarium I placed it under the microscope to see what different things I could find. At first I observed what the plants looked like. I then scanned the bottom where the dirt is, because that is were critters like to stay. There I saw plenty of one celled organisms which looked like they were trying to escape. Little did they know this strange, small compartment was their new home. As I was looking at the rest of the aquarium a large mass darted into my screen! It actually made me jump. I found it again and sketched a picture of the little bug then named it Carlos. Pictures are to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment